lmi

Re: [lmi] Showing better icons in high DPI

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Showing better icons in high DPI
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 10:29:07 +0000

On 2022-02-16 01:06, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:58:14 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> GC> On 1/11/22 11:05 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> GC> >
> GC> >  One of the important new features in (the still not released but really
> GC> > close to being to, this time for real) wx 3.1.6 is the possibility to
> GC> > define bitmaps of different sizes for the same "logical" bitmap in
> GC> > different resolutions. I.e. instead of scaling up a 16x16 bitmap by a
> GC> > factor of 2 when using 200% DPI scaling or, worse, scaling it up by a
> GC> > factor of 1.5, which looks really ugly, when using 150% scaling, the
> GC> > application can define 16x16 bitmap, 32x32 bitmap and 24x24 bitmap and
> the
> GC> > appropriate one will be selected during run-time
> GC>
> GC> BTW, in gwc/16/ and gwc/24/ we have gnome originals of various icons
> GC> that have been copied or adapted for lmi. Their provenance is given in
> GC> 'README'; perhaps gnome has SVG versions.
>
>  Following up on this turned out to be much more interesting (in the
> notorious Chinese proverb sense) than I could have imagined. [...big snip...]
If you want to send some screenshots to my personal email, I'd be
glad to take a look. Going by the narrative description only, it
sounds like this could take a great deal of effort, yet produce
results that aren't really satisfying. Should we consider dropping
the idea, and just keeping what we have?