lmi

Re: [lmi] Should lmi use an xml catalog resolver?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Should lmi use an xml catalog resolver?
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 20:39:16 +0000

On 10/16/20 12:20 PM, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2020-10-15 20:51, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 19:41:18 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> GC> Building libxslt produces 244 lines of diagnostics like these:
>> GC>
>>       ^
>> GC> I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
>> GC> EXSLT/bugs.html:2: warning: failed to load external entity
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-
>> GC>  1.0 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";
>> GC>
>>       ^
>> GC> EXSLT/bugs.html:3: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
>> http-equiv="Content-Type"
>> GC>                                           ^
>>
>>  Sorry but how exactly can I reproduce this? I don't see it when running
>> install_xml_libraries.sh with LMI_TRIPLET=i686-w64-mingw32 and I don't see
>> it when building libxslt natively neither.
>
> The only reason I can guess is that I'm doing everything in a chroot,
> which must lack some configuration file or daemon that lets these
> external entities load in a host environment.

Kim built everything from scratch yesterday with cygwin, and her logs
show a different set of "failed to load external entity" messages,
with no chroot involved, of course.

> Examining my older logs
>   /srv/cache_for_lmi/logs[0]$grep --count 'external entity' lmi-log* |less -S
> I see
>   lmi-log_20200528T1922Z:12
>   lmi-log_20200528T2204Z:12
>   ...always 12, until this month there are 244...
>   lmi-log_20201013T2236Z:244

The count for Kim's log is 292. The error messages (more compact
than mine above) begin:

Making install in doc
make[1]: Entering directory
'/opt/lmi/local/gcc_x86_64-w64-mingw32/xml-ad_hoc/libxslt/doc'
Validating the HTML Web pages
Validating the HTML Web pages
warning: failed to load external entity "API.html"
warning: failed to load external entity "bugs.html"
warning: failed to load external entity "contribs.html"

In my most recent (chroot) log, the same section looks like this:

make[1]: Entering directory
'/opt/lmi/local/gcc_x86_64-w64-mingw32/xml-ad_hoc/libxslt/doc'
Rebuilding the HTML Web pages from xslt.html
[...the preceding line repeats about a dozen times...]
Validating the HTML Web pages
/usr/bin/xmllint: relocation error: /usr/bin/xmllint: symbol xmlSchematronParse
version LIBXML2_2.6.21 not defined in file libxml2.so.2 with link time reference
make[1]: [Makefile:747: EXSLT/docs.html] Error 127 (ignored)
[...the preceding four lines repeat numerous times...]

Kim's log doesn't contain any "Rebuilding" lines at all.

Does the
  symbol xmlSchematronParse version LIBXML2_2.6.21 not defined in file
libxml2.so.2 with link time reference
suggest a problem that might have an obvious solution?

At any rate...

> I had hoped that there'd be some simple way to make this work in a chroot,

...or in cygwin...

> but if there isn't, we can live with 244 extra lines in a 15000-line build
> log.
That conclusion still stands: we can live with this problem, as it is
merely a nuisance. I'm posting this update only to get the cygwin
results on the historical record. With two very different systems,
we both see many more "external entity" problems than formerly, and
I'd guess that this is because we're now building a later release and
perhaps using more of the autotools machinery than we did with tarballs.