lmi

[lmi] Should lmi use an xml catalog resolver?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Should lmi use an xml catalog resolver?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 19:41:18 +0000

Building libxslt produces 244 lines of diagnostics like these:

I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
EXSLT/bugs.html:2: warning: failed to load external entity
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-
 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";
                                                                               ^
EXSLT/bugs.html:3: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
                                          ^

They're ignored, so the library builds okay, but if possible I'd
like to solve whatever problem they're trying to indicate (and
not see those diagnostics).

This seemed perfect:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37242391/xmllint-fails-to-validate-xhtml-1-0-transitional-file/37243359#37243359
| It seems the simplest workaround is:
| $ sudo apt-get install w3c-dtd-xhtml

but that package seems to be absent from debian since 'jessie',
i.e., 'oldoldstable'.

I can download the DTD myself:

wget https://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd

but I gather that I need to place it in an xml catalog resolver
somehow, so that a cached local copy is always used instead of
fetching it from the internet. And it looks like libxml2
provides 'xmlcatalog', which sounds promising, so maybe I
already have all the pieces and merely lack the magic glue
that binds them together. Vadim, can you lead me out of this
quandary?