lmi

Re: [lmi] dpkg error on redhat server

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] dpkg error on redhat server
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 23:44:13 +0000

On 2019-10-08 21:56, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 21:51:07 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> I guess the problem is that, when I tried manually creating
> GC> a new user to own that directory, I mistyped something and
> GC> created a numeric username. Fortunately, I've scripted the
> GC> entire process, so I'll try again
>
>  Maybe it could be worth doing chown first and checking if there are no
> other unexpected problems after this?

Nah.

Working on my own PC, I have the perfect ergonomic environment.
I'll just amend the scripts here, test them with centos, push
them to git, and run them on that server. Alternatively, I
could strain my eyes, back, fingers, and patience working on
that laptop thing, where I'm locked out of the server and the
laptop after a few minutes and have to log back in to both
again, separately. (And if this is Patch Tuesday, the thing
might just reboot anyway.)

Besides, when I try to fix something manually, I often get it
wrong, as above where I probably pasted
  adduser --guid 1007 --uid 1007 ${SOME_UNDEFINED_VARIABLE}
resulting in a user named "1007". And then I have to go back
to my own PC and fix the script anyway, because posting any
local changes from the laptop via email involves too many
painful steps--and I can't commit anything there, for one
thing because I'm not going to put my private keys on some
server managed by people I don't know, and for another,
because they block gnu.org anyway and I'm not willing to set
up a github account.

And in the time it takes to rant, the centos build is done,
so I'll just push now. This nested chroot setup is great.