lmi

Re: [lmi] dpkg error on redhat server

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] dpkg error on redhat server
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 21:51:07 +0000

On 2019-10-07 23:10, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 22:56:24 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

[...corporate server with no mount over about 8GB, but we need about 10GB...]

> GC> On this server, $(nproc) returns eight, so I don't think building lmi
> GC> in parallel will consume 8 GB of RAM, and a 24 GB ramdisk should be
> GC> big enough for a proof of concept, so I guess I'll try again with:
> GC>   mount -t tmpfs -o size=75% tmpfs /srv
>
>  This might indeed work, although it risks being a bit funny, in an unfunny
> sort of way, if you end up swapping out the compiler processes because
> you've taken too much RAM for the build directory.

I haven't gotten to the [un]funny part yet, but I was able
to debootstrap debian and apt-get install everything needed,
on a 10GB tmpfs. Thus, I should be able to build lmi, except
that I lack permission in the chroot's /opt/lmi :

[server]$ls -ld /srv/chroot/lmi_bullseye_1/opt/lmi
drwxr-xr-x 2 1007 su-secdesign 40 Oct  8 11:33
/srv/chroot/lmi_bullseye_1/opt/lmi
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^ who ordered that?

My usual search engine doesn't know what "su-secdesign" is.
I tried the engine that spies on you, and it doesn't know,
either. I suppose that's a good thing: if this were some
exotic "security" thing, someone would have heard of it.

I guess the problem is that, when I tried manually creating
a new user to own that directory, I mistyped something and
created a numeric username. Fortunately, I've scripted the
entire process, so I'll try again after teaching the scripts
that not every system has a user named 'greg'.