lmi

Re: [lmi] PATCH: Upgrade xmlwrapp to 0.9.0

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] PATCH: Upgrade xmlwrapp to 0.9.0
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 19:08:53 +0200

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:33:39 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2018-04-11 12:52, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 12:07:59 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > GC> but I don't use cygwin myself and don't know which of the numerous
GC> > GC> autoconf and automake files found here:
GC> > GC>   https://cygwin.com/packages/
GC> > GC> would need to be added.
GC> >
GC> >  Just autoconf and automake, I think.

 BTW, I realized that I might not have made it totally clear, so I'd like
to clarify that we do *not* actually need anything in order to compile
xmlwrapp from a release tarball, which is self-contained. The packages
above would be required if using Git checkout, but this is not the case
currently.

GC> Okay, I've added those two,

 I.e. while this certainly doesn't hurt, it doesn't help neither right now.

GC> and removed the cvs and svn stuff.

 Great!

GC> When convenient, would you please test to make sure those are
GC> adequate to build xmlwrapp with autotools?

 First of all, right now xmlwrapp can be built without these packages, i.e.
there is no need to update Cygwin just for this. Do note, however, that you
need to use some non-default configure options due to where the libraries
are installed. Here is my complete configure command line, for reference:

% CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/lmi/third_party/include
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/lmi/local/lib/pkgconfig
PATH=/MinGW_/bin:/opt/lmi/local/bin:/opt/lmi/local/lib:/usr/bin:$PATH
./configure --prefix=/opt/lmi/local --build=i686-pc-cygwin
--host=i686-w64-mingw32 --disable-docs --disable-tests

You can skip the explanations, but, if you're curious:

- CPPFLAGS is needed to find the Boost headers.
- PKG_CONFIG_PATH is needed to find lib{xml2,xslt,exslt}.
- PATH must be set to find the compiler and, also, to use the correct sort
  command (i.e. not the one under %WINDIR%).
- Tests must be disabled because Boost.Iostream library required by them
  is not available and it doesn't seem worth to install it just for this.
- Disabling docs is not necessary and just saves some time, as we don't
  need them anyhow (if you'd like to read them, they're included in the
  release tarball and also available at
  http://vslavik.github.io/xmlwrapp/manual/index.html)

 Second, I can indeed confirm that configure can be successfully generated
when using a Git checkout. In this case you need to run ./bootstrap (there
will be many warnings due to the missing dot(1) program from ImageMagick
package, but we don't care about this as we don't build the documentation
anyhow) and then run configure as shown above (preferably, but not
necessarily, from another directory).

 Please let me know if you'd like me to test anything else (but I'm
surprised you haven't installed Cygwin under Wine yet...),
VZ