lmi

Re: [lmi] Branching to replace XSL-FO

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Branching to replace XSL-FO
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:41:05 +0100

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:13:10 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2017-10-28 20:16, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > Let's just put in place the original plan: please
GC> > integrate the changes in your GWC branch in whichever you see fit, without
GC> > caring about the history, and then let's do the merge with the VZ branch
GC> > using "ours" strategy at the end to graft the original history of these
GC> > changes.
GC> I'm ready to do the merge now. IIRC, the idea is to merge "my" branch:
GC>   http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/lmi.git/log/?h=gwc-no-xslfo
GC> into "your" PDF branch:
GC>   https://github.com/vadz/lmi/tree/direct-pdf-gen-master
GC> and then merge the result into 'master'. But I've never done anything
GC> like this before, so could I ask you to spell out the commands, please?

 I am not sure why would you prefer to merge gwc-no-xslfo branch into
direct-pdf-gen-master as this is a more difficult way of arriving to the
same result, AFAICS. I planned to merge direct-pdf-gen-master into
gwc-no-xslfo (which can be merged in master later, of course) which is as
simple as

        $ git merge --strategy ours vz/direct-pdf-gen-master

(I believe "vz" is the name of your remote corresponding to vadz/lmi
repository on GitHub, please correct this if I'm wrong -- or omit it
entirely if you already have an up-to-date local direct-pdf-gen-master
branch as I suspect you do).

 This merge should be instantaneous and not result in any changes to your
working copy files, it will just merge the 2 histories and, as a side
effect of it, preserve the full list of my individual commits.

 Please let me know if you have any questions about it or if you run into
any problems,
VZ