lmi

Re: [lmi] vim highlighting for '.mst' files

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] vim highlighting for '.mst' files
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 17:25:45 +0200

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 15:13:10 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2017-10-25 14:26, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 14:06:42 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> >  No, I use https://github.com/mustache/vim-mustache-handlebars
GC> [...]
GC> > GC> syntax like "{{>" is already clear enough without highlighting.)
GC> >
GC> >  At least for me, it's really easy to not notice a missing brace without
GC> > syntax highlighting, while it's all but impossible with it, so I think
it's
GC> > well worth it even for such simple syntax (the plugin also defines
GC> > abbreviations automatically expanding "{{" into "{{ }}" and section
GC> > movements but I didn't use those).
GC>
GC> That's an interesting perspective, which I had not considered.

 I still remember that I used to make stupid errors like not closing a
string literal or "#if 0" condition or forgetting a parenthesis in my code
some long, long time ago. But since I've started using Vim with its syntax
highlighting for just about everything, this class of errors has simply
entirely disappeared and they just don't happen at all any more (or, if
they do, they get corrected by my fingers in fully automatic mode, without
any conscious intervention) because they're immediately visible.

GC> A quick web search suggests that there's no mature, widely-used
GC> validation tool (like RNG for xml, or W3C's validator for html),
GC> so does the mustache community rely on tests designed to elicit
GC> runtime errors?

 Sorry, I don't really know. But I guess (considering that "mustache
community" probably consists for 95% from web developers) they do, there is
not much habit of using static analysis tools of any kind in this community
AFAIK (they slow things down!).

GC> >  If you use Pathogen, installing new plugins is as simple as
GC> > [...] I think there is hardly any reason to not at least try it.
GC>
GC> I generally avoid vim plugins not because they're hard to install,
GC> but because I fear some might be of low quality.

 In principle, yes, it's possible, but for a simple file type plugin like
this which is mostly limited to syntax highlighting, it seems unlikely to
have any really important issues. And, again, in the worst case, installing
and uninstalling it takes less time than writing this email...

 Also, I'm not a good example as I don't install many plugins, but I've
never had any real problems with any of them, the worst that happened to me
was that I installed some plugin and later realized I absolutely never used
it and so uninstalled it.

 Regards,
VZ