lmi

Re: [lmi] Style question: when should "a_" prefix be used?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Style question: when should "a_" prefix be used?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 00:21:22 +0100

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 23:15:39 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2017-03-10 21:15, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >
GC> >  I'm looking at the sources trying to formulate the various style rules,
GC> > but I just can't understand what is the rule for using "a_" prefix for the
GC> > function arguments. Initially I thought that it was limited only to the
GC> > ctor arguments, but this isn't really the case, and luckily so, because if
GC> > it were, I'd have trouble finding a rationale for it, considering that
I've
GC> > just formulated a rule saying that all class members (and they only)
should
GC> > have a trailing underscore in their names, ensuring that they can't clash
GC> > with the function arguments.
GC>
GC> HA;DA, i.e., "Historical accident; don't ask".

 I'm happy enough with this answer, thanks! I've condensed it down to the
last item of my current "Naming Conventions" section which looks like this
in full now:

---------------------------------- >8 --------------------------------------
Naming Conventions
------------------

### Use `snake_case_convention` for identifiers

Classes, enums, functions and variables use the same naming convention.

Notice that many existing classes use legacy `CamelCase` naming convention
instead, they should not be renamed, but new classes must not use camel case.

### Use trailing underscore for member variables

Member variables are distinguished from local variables and function parameters
by the presence of `_` at the end.

### Don't use `a_` prefix for function arguments

Although some legacy code does use this prefix, it shouldn't be used in new
code.

 Please let me know if you have any comments (I really wish we could use a
wiki or some other of collaboratively editing this file, but I think _not_
proposing it might actually save more time in the short term, so I won't :-),
VZ