lmi

Re: [lmi] An irreproducible anomaly

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] An irreproducible anomaly
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 22:54:23 +0200

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 20:04:08 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> To attempt to reproduce this anomaly:
GC>
GC> Open a census with more than one cell, in which "ContractNumber"
GC> varies across cells. Edit "ContractNumber" by drilling down in the
GC> census manager (not by opening the tabbed dialog); copy and paste
GC> something into that field. Leaving the field open for editing
GC> (with its contents highlighted), open the tabbed dialog by some
GC> means such as pulling down the "Census" menu with the mouse and
GC> selecting "Edit cell..." with the mouse. Observe the string
GC> "[diagnostics]" (without double quotes) in the static-text control
GC> whose XRC name is "diagnostics";

 All I can say is that I indeed can't reproduce this, but things still
don't work quite right for me. What I did was to:

1. Create a new census (Ctrl-N, C)
2. Edit the first cell (Ctrl-E)
3. Change the "Contract Number" field on "Inforce" page to "123".
4. Add another cell (Ctrl-+)
5. Edit the new cell "Contract Number" in-place (F2, "456")
6. Press Ctrl-E to open the dialog

 I see the changes in the in-place editor being accepted and the dialog
opens with empty diagnostics field, however the "Contract Number" in the
dialog is empty, not "456". FWIW closing the dialog and opening it again
(Ctrl-E) does show the expected "456" in it.

GC> Even if that anomaly is not observed, go to the "Payments" tab,
GC> enter "-1" in "Dumpin", and Tab away from "Dumpin": the expected
GC> effect is that this string appears in the static-text "diagnostics"
GC> field:
GC>     "-1 is too low: 0 is the lower limit."
GC> and focus is trapped in "Dumpin" until you fix that; but if you
GC> don't see that message and can Tab away from "Dumpin", then you
GC> have reproduced the anomaly.

 I can't reproduce this neither :-(

GC> My hypothesis is that the wxUpdateUIEvent pump has failed. But
GC> I find no call to SetUpdateInterval() or SetMode() in lmi that
GC> could cause UpdateUI events to stop flowing.

 Yes, I don't see why would this happen. If you can reproduce this again,
could you please check if the in-place text edit control in the census view
remains open while the "Edit" dialog is shown or is it closed first for you
too?

 Thanks,
VZ