lmi

Re: [lmi] Control names

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Control names
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 23:50:13 +0000

On 2016-06-07 22:58, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 21:35:29 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> Charybdis: There's no wxWindow::GetName() for general use, or anything
> GC> like that for wxComboBox in particular AFAICS.
>
>  I'm very puzzled by this because there _is_ wxWindow::GetName() which is
> exactly what I used in my (not tested and hence not submitted yet) patch. I
> have a bad feeling that I am missing something perfectly obvious here, but
> why not use GetName() instead of GetLabel()?

I was puzzled when I scrutinized the doxygen documentation for class
wxControl and found no wxControl::GetName(). I didn't think to look
at base class wxWindow.

> It seems to me that this is
> exactly what we need. Granted, "SupplementalReportColumn03" is not very
> readable (perhaps we could use "help" attribute instead?)

That would give
  "Fourth supplemental-report column"
which is not much more helpful. Besides, every control has a name,
while some may have no help text. And help text, when present, may
be too verbose for this purpose:

  <object class="wxTextCtrl" name="Inforce7702AAmountsPaidHistory">
    <help>7702A(e)(1) 'amounts paid' by 7702A(e)(2) 'contract year' since
beginning of last seven-pay period--zero if not in a seven-pay period</help>

Anyway, I've fixed this in the savannah repository now.