lmi

Re: [lmi] Control names (was: Using picker controls for paths)

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Control names (was: Using picker controls for paths)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 00:58:55 +0200

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 21:35:29 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-06-07 20:18, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> > On 2016-06-04 15:40, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >> On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 17:54:43 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> >>
GC> >>  I'll do this next but I wanted to post this quickly to let you know
about
GC> >> the new PR.
GC> >
GC> > I think I'll just go ahead and resolve all of them except the one
GC> > concerning wxControlWithItems and wxItemContainerImmutable.
GC>
GC> Okay, I've done that, more or less. However, I can't always show the names
GC> of the controls (they're empty strings).

 But you're not using names, you're using labels.

GC> Scylla: I can't label the combobox.
GC> Charybdis: There's no wxWindow::GetName() for general use, or anything
GC> like that for wxComboBox in particular AFAICS.

 I'm very puzzled by this because there _is_ wxWindow::GetName() which is
exactly what I used in my (not tested and hence not submitted yet) patch. I
have a bad feeling that I am missing something perfectly obvious here, but
why not use GetName() instead of GetLabel()? It seems to me that this is
exactly what we need. Granted, "SupplementalReportColumn03" is not very
readable (perhaps we could use "help" attribute instead?), but I think it
should be sufficient to identify the control and it's definitely better
than nothing, isn't it?

VZ