lmi

Re: [lmi] libtool and _putenv

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] libtool and _putenv
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:05:22 +0100

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 14:31:33 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-01-25 13:13, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >
GC> >  So to solve this problem once and for all you indeed need to edit the
GC> > /usr/share/libtool/config/ltmain.sh file, but then you need to rerun
GC> > autogen.sh (you could also rerun just libtoolize and automake manually,
but
GC> > the savings are not great enough to bother with this) and re-run configure
GC> > (although normally this will be done automatically if you just run "make"
GC> > again, automake-generated makefiles are smart like this). And once you do
GC> > all this, it should work and you shouldn't have to worry about it again
GC> > until at least the next system update.
GC>
GC> But I thought I did that

 And I thought that something didn't work/wasn't (re)done when you did it
because I was so sure that doing it in the right sequence should work.
And, of course, I was wrong :-(

GC> > but then you need to rerun autogen.sh

 This doesn't do anything if it had been run before:

% libtoolize --verbose
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
libtoolize: `./ltmain.sh' is already up to date.
libtoolize: Not copying `aclocal/argz.m4', libltdl not used.
libtoolize: Not copying `aclocal/ltdl.m4', libltdl not used.
libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.ac and
libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros in-tree.

 So you need to explicitly remove ltmain.sh before rerunning autogen.sh
which will update the local ltmain.sh which will then be used by configure
to generate the updated libtool.

 Now it _really_ should work, please let me know if I'm still missing
anything!

VZ