lmi

Re: [lmi] libtool and _putenv (was: Cross-compiling lmi from Linux to MS

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] libtool and _putenv (was: Cross-compiling lmi from Linux to MSW)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 14:13:32 +0100

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 03:59:29 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-01-25 03:30, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > /usr/share/libtool/config[1]$ls
GC> > compile  config.guess  config.sub  depcomp  install-sh    ltmain.sh
missing

GC> > No 'ltmain.m4sh'; is 'ltmain.sh' the same thing? (I find no 'ltmain.m4sh'
GC> > on either debian-7 or debian-8.)
GC> >
GC> > /usr/share/libtool/config[0]$grep -A3 MINGW ltmain.sh
GC> > #if defined(__MINGW32__)
GC> > # ifdef __STRICT_ANSI__
GC> > int _putenv (const char *);
GC> > # endif
GC> >
GC> > So I just patch that manually, right?

 Sorry, I should have been more explicit about this, this stuff is
confusing because there are several steps leading to the generation of the
final libtool script in the build directory of the project: first, there is
the "libtoolize" step hidden inside the autogen.sh script, then there is
automake (also there) and finally configure runs and generates the final
libtool from the template created by autogen.sh.

 So to solve this problem once and for all you indeed need to edit the
/usr/share/libtool/config/ltmain.sh file, but then you need to rerun
autogen.sh (you could also rerun just libtoolize and automake manually, but
the savings are not great enough to bother with this) and re-run configure
(although normally this will be done automatically if you just run "make"
again, automake-generated makefiles are smart like this). And once you do
all this, it should work and you shouldn't have to worry about it again
until at least the next system update.

 Hope this helps!
VZ