lmi

Re: [lmi] Group premium quotes: UI

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Group premium quotes: UI
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 21:25:25 +0000

On 2015-10-23 15:05, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 01:46:30 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> The BYOD era has begun; should we be targeting some
> GC> new platform instead?
>
>  Just in case it wasn't a rhetorical question, I think we should, if we
> can. It's "just" a question of resources, but ideally, i.e. if the
> resources were unlimited, any GUI application nowadays should support at
> least the following platforms:
>
> 1. Classic MSW
> 2. OS X
> 3. Linux/other Unices
> 4. Android
> 5. iOS
> 6. UI-formerly-known-as-Metro for modern MSW versions
> 7. HTML5 for everything else
>
>  Now I have no idea whether lmi users priorities are, all I can say is that
> supporting 4-7 is not going to be simple. (6) would probably be the least
> onerous platform to target and also arguably of most interest for lmi, but
> even it would require a lot of work.

I've already used lmi on (1) and (3), and presumably (2) either works
already or would not be very difficult. But could we cover the other
platforms at least temporarily by doing something in even an ancient
version of HTML and declaring that the browser is the platform? We
do have some very old CGI-BIN code, but we can't ask all users to run
a webserver.