lmi

Re: [lmi] error building libxml using install_msw.sh

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] error building libxml using install_msw.sh
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 01:58:03 +0200

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 21:08:44 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2011-06-18 12:13Z, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC>
GC> And this later message lists some recommended steps:
GC>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-06/msg00230.html
GC> |   export lt_cv_to_tool_file_cmd=func_convert_file_cygwin_to_w32
GC> |   export PATH="/c/MinGW/bin:${PATH}"
GC> |   configure --build=i686-pc-cygwin \
GC> |           --host=mingw32 \
GC> |           NM=/c/MinGW/bin/nm.exe
GC>
GC> In 'install_libxml2_libxslt.make', we already have:
GC>   --build=i686-pc-cygwin \
GC>   --host=i686-pc-mingw32 \
GC>        NM='$(mingw_bin_dir)/nm' \
GC> so I guess we should add the rest there, something like this:
GC>     cd $(xml_dir)/$(notdir $@) \
GC> +     && export lt_cv_to_tool_file_cmd=func_convert_file_cygwin_to_w32 \

 Yes, I was going to test this but then I realized that it wouldn't work:
lt_cv_to_tool_file_cmd is relatively recent (git tells me it was commited
on 2010-09-06 somewhere around 2.2.10 release) while libxml2 uses ancient
1.5 libtool which doesn't have any paths transformations at all. So this
doesn't help in our concrete case neither. Of course, I didn't post this to
Cygwin list as the only reasonable answer would be "update your libtool"
and I don't especially look forward trying to convince libxml2 maintainers
to do it.

 So I wonder if we shouldn't just leave this for now. After all, the bug
was fixed in Cygwin itself and so the next release of it won't have this
problem. And it only manifests itself under Windows 7 which you don't use
yet. So maybe it should be just mentioned/documented somewhere and left
alone for now?

GC> +     && export PATH="/c/MinGW/bin:${PATH}" \
GC>       && ./configure --prefix=$(prefix) $($(notdir $@)_options) \
GC>       && $(MAKE) \
GC>       && $(MAKE) install \
GC> except that we're not using "/c/MinGW/bin". That looks like an MSYS
GC> path; should we use a Cygwin path there?

 I think setting NM is not necessary with latest libtool any more, there
was a bug which affected it before but it was fixed (I can dig and find the
details if you're really interested).

GC> And perhaps we should modify 'install_wx.make' too. Like the other
GC> makefile

 No, wxWidgets doesn't use libtool so luckily is not affected by all this.

 Regards,
VZ