lmi

Re: [lmi] Allow direct drill-down editing in census manager

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] Allow direct drill-down editing in census manager
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 18:55:15 +0200

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 11:48 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
> I'm not sure why the highlight would appear only after the keyboard
> has been used. Why not make it appear always, even in a
> newly-constructed wxDataViewCtrl?

The focus-highlight is only useful when the user is actually using the
keyboard (which isn't that often), it would be distracting otherwise. I
think GTK+ got this right.

> If it's going to work much like wxGrid,
> then why not follow a spreadsheet model for navigation? For example,
> pressing Enter in a spreadsheet doesn't enter edit mode.

In this particular case, it's probably because pressing alphanumeric
characters starts search in the GTK+ control, so it couldn't be used for
editing. I'm not sure if the win32 listview control has anything like
that, to be honest.

More generally, I think it's geared a bit towards *occasional* editing.

Regards,
Vaclav