lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] Allow direct drill-down editing in census manager

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] Allow direct drill-down editing in census manager
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 16:32:52 +0200

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:41:17 +0200 Vaclav Slavik <address@hidden> wrote:

VS> On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 14:54 -0400, Wendy Boutin wrote:
VS> > In particular, the navigational nature of wxGrid allows me to
VS> > easily edit columns, which is a very important attribute to users
VS> > who would typically edit the same parameter for each cell.
VS>
VS> Keyboard navigation is missing from Windows implementation of
VS> wxDataViewCtrl, but that's something we will fix, see my earlier mail:
VS>
VS>         We should implement it in the same way GTK+ does it, I think: as
VS>         soon as you start using the keyboard, a subtle rectangle is
VS>         drawn around the cell that currently has focus. This cell is
VS>         always on the selected line as is the 0th column by default. Up
VS>         and down arrows move the selection (and therefore, focused cell
VS>         too). Left and right arrows move focus within the selected row.
VS>         Enter starts editing. On Windows, appropriate rendering would
VS>         the dotted focus rectangle that wxListCtrl uses too, except that
VS>         it would highlight just one cell instead of the entire row.
VS>
VS> I think this kind of keyboard navigation is more appropriate than
VS> Excel/wxGrid-style

 FWIW I agree with this. Of course, if the data we have here is really more
like a 2D table than a collection of rows (which I think it is) then it
might be more appropriate to have Excel-like navigation.

VS> Yes, I myself noticed some weird keyboard handling the other day. For
VS> example, not only the checkboxes behave inconsistently, it should be
VS> enough to single click to toggle them.

 I think this is the same as http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/11362, isn't
it?

VS> Re the three clicks, I think the Windows version even requires
VS> double-click to start editing (and single-click to select). I agree with
VS> you completely: single-click should be enough to start editing a cell on
VS> the selected row.

 We can discuss the details later if wxDataViewCtrl is chosen for this but
it's clear both that the current input handling is not ideal and that it
shouldn't be very difficult to improve it. Notice that for MSW version
we're not limited by any native controls limitations because it's
implemented entirely in wx so we should be able to do exactly what we deem
to be best.

VS> > Is it possible to sort a wxGrid by columns?
VS>
VS> It's possible to implement it, but wxDataViewCtrl has builtin support,
VS> so it makes it considerably easier.

 It's not a big deal to implement sorting in wxGrid, the sample shows how
to do it. But, once again, I agree that it's still simpler with
wxDataViewCtrl.

 Regards,
VZ