lmi

Re: [lmi] Converting...to svn? [Was: Savannah status]

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Converting...to svn? [Was: Savannah status]
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:01:02 +0000

On 2009-06-03 14:07Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:23:37 +0200 Vadim Zeitlin <address@hidden> wrote:

> repository
> VZ> GC>
> VZ> GC> Yes, would you please do that?
> VZ>
> VZ>  Done now (it only took 2 hours finally):
> VZ>
> VZ>   http://www.tt-solutions.com/clients/massmutual/svn.dump.lzma
>
>  This file has been updated with the new dump, created using tailor
> --use-propset option and so containing the correct commit dates and authors
> names. Please let me know if you could download/import it successfully and
> whether you find any problems with it.

$lzma -dk svn.dump.lzma
$ls -o
total 530504
-rwxrwxrwx 1 chicares 534708707 Jun  8 13:19 svn.dump
-rwxrwxrwx 1 chicares   8520689 Jun  8 13:19 svn.dump.lzma

Is it really supposed to be half a gigabyte? That's about twenty
times the size of the cvs repository that I retrieved with rsync.
OTOH, loading it produces only a ninety-megabyte svn repository,
so I guess it's just that the 'tailor' output is verbose. Thank
goodness for lzma.

When I checked it out, thus:
  svn checkout file:///lmi/checkouts/recovery/tmp/
the result in 'trunk' matched a cvs checkout perfectly, except:
 - svn has a '.bzrignore' file; is that just an artifact of your
     originally having used a dvcs, which I should erase? Should
     I use `svn propset svn:ignore -F .cvsignore .` to migrate
     the old '.cvsignore' file?
 - every file in 'trunk' bears the time and date when I ran the
     checkout command; is that actually irrelevant, or must I
     create a 'pre-revprop-change' hook and run 'svnsync'?

At any rate, I think the end of the month will be a better time
to convert the online repository, because:
 - I have hardware problems here, and replacement parts aren't
     scheduled to arrive until the day after tomorrow
 - the June release is very important politically, and I'm a bit
     behind schedule because...
 - I lost some time due to the savannah outage
 - I have to upgrade US systems to install subversion, and
     Cygwin's 'setup' facility has proved to be quite brittle
 - we need time to master subversion
 - we need to test the conversion thoroughly
and, as it finally turned out, savannah was able to restore our
entire cvs repository without any loss.