lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] product editor patch

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] product editor patch
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:27:01 +0100

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:53:07 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> (A) mvc_controller.cpp
GC> s/wxControlWithItems/wxItemContainer/
GC> Please help me understand the benefit of this change.

 In addition to Vaclav's explanation I'd also like to invoke the
"minimality principle": LMI code doesn't wxControlWithItems here, it only
uses the methods of wxItemContainer and so it shouldn't require the derived
class but content itself with the base one.

GC> (1) Should "File | Save" indeed be enabled for an unmodified new
GC> document? I see two options:
GC>   (a) disable it; or
GC>   (b) enable it, but map it to "File | Save as".
GC> I've always followed (a) and disabled it, but that's really just
GC> a habit rather than a conscious choice. Is there a reason to
GC> follow (b) instead?

 I don't really understand what's the benefit of (a) from the user point of
view. Surely if pressing Ctrl-S brings up the "Save As" dialog it is more
useful than if it doesn't do anything? The only argument in favour of (a) I
can is consistency (i.e. "Save" never asks for the file name) but it seems
wrong to disable the command entirely instead of making it behave logically
even if slightly less consistently, I don't think anybody can be surprised
that the program asks for the file name to save if it doesn't have it
already.

 Anyhow, as a user I most definitely prefer (b) and I don't see why would
anyone choose (a).

 Regards,
VZ