lmi

Re: [lmi] Contextual-help anomaly

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Contextual-help anomaly
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:21:10 +0000

On 2008-02-29 20:19Z, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
> Greg Chicares wrote:
>> I would expect no control on this dialog to be associated with
>> any contextual help whatsoever, because there are no <help>
>> elements in its XRC file.
>
> And rightly so. This was a bug in wx, it failed to remove wxWindow to
> help text association even after the window was destroyed. The
> bizarre behavior you observed is explained by the fact that the "Use
> built-in calculation summary" control was allocated at the same
> memory address previously used by "BlendGender" control. And because
> no new help text was set for this wxWindow* value and the old one was
> kept, wxSimpleHelpProvider incorrectly found help text when it
> shouldn't.
>
> This patch to wx-2.8.x (will be in wx-2.8.8) fixes it:

http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx/wxWidgets/branches/WX_2_8_BRANCH/src/common/wincmn.cpp?r1=52095&r2=52200

Tested and confirmed. This patch has also fixed another problem:
pressing F1 while help was displayed used to show help text for
some stray lmi controls. I hadn't reported that because I guessed
this patch would fix it--as indeed it has.