lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] Popup contextual help appears at mouse position

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] Popup contextual help appears at mouse position
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 03:08:14 +0100

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:22:53 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> > Otherwise, show help "near" the control: by default, position it just
under
GC> > it but place it above instead if it wouldn't fit on screen otherwise (this
GC> > is a bit tricky as I don't know right now how to get the size of the
GC> > tooltip window).

 This patch:

http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx/wxWidgets/branches/WX_2_8_BRANCH/src/common/wincmn.cpp?r1=52272&r2=52271&pathrev=52272

is the minimal necessary fix which implements showing the help popup
underneath the window instead of at the mouse position unless the mouse is
over the window.

 But before spending time to ensure that the tooltip is positioned ideally
(i.e. fully on screen yet as near as possible to the window) I'd like to
ask you whether you can test the behaviour in the current state, i.e.
without any special tooltip positioning code at all? I ask this because, to
be honest, the current behaviour already looks good enough for me: the
tooltip is shown just under the control so for it to be even partially
hidden the control must be very close to the bottom (or right) screen
boundary. The native tooltip tries to take care of the bottom boundary on
its own (albeit not totally successfully) so all the code which we'd need
to write would be needed only to prevent the rightmost part of the tooltip
from being truncated in the unlikely case that the control it is shown for
is almost immediately adjacent to the right monitor side. Is it really
worth it? IMO it isn't but please let me know if you think the current
situation is unacceptable.

 Thanks,
VZ