lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] building with Visual C++

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] building with Visual C++
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 18:37:58 +0100

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:34:35 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> As for msvc:
GC>
GC>  - It would be nice to support one more compiler
GC>  - It's also an advantage if an additional compiler has (or works
GC>    with) useful tools for error detection beyond usual compiler
GC>    diagnostics, as in the case you mention.
GC>
GC>  - OTOH, it's not relevant that msvc is popular in some segment
GC>    of the non-free (software) world: lmi needs to support a
GC>    monopoly compiler "like a fish needs a bicycle".

 There is unfortunately one other reason to use MSVC which I believe I
already mentioned but would like to repeat:

- Debugging in MSVC is incomparably more efficient than using gdb

While I agree with your view that ideally debugging should be avoided
completely, sometimes debugger is still a very useful tool to have. And
MSVC debugger is really very good and there is no comparison possible with
gdb under Win32 (gdb under other Unix systems sometimes works decently but
Win32 version is a disaster IME).

 Another reason is that compiling using MSVC is so much faster than with
g++. Again, MSVC is not the fastest compiler out there (Borland is probably
even faster) but it's so much faster than g++ that it qualitatively changes
the way you're working (or, rather, g++ slowness changes the way I'm
working as I'm simply forced to multitask and switch to doing something
else while it builds).

 So I'd really appreciate a possibility to be able to build LMI with this
compiler, this could save us a lot of time.

 Regards,
VZ