lmi

Re[4]: [lmi] Should we restrict cvs files to ASCII?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[4]: [lmi] Should we restrict cvs files to ASCII?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:03:21 +0200

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:55:00 +0200 Evgeniy Tarassov <address@hidden> wrote:

ET> This is the thing that puzzles me. The current encoding of ChangeLog
ET> is 'ISO-8859-1', but 'cvs diff' produces the patch as if the original
ET> encoding of ChangeLog was utf8.

 No, it doesn't here. I suspect that Eclipse (or whatever you use as your
IDE?) converts the text captured from the external command.

ET> You can see it for yourself -- just checkout a clean version of lmi,
ET> then cheng ChangeLog file (duplicate the line with non-ASCII
ET> character) and run:
ET> cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/lmi diff
ET> ChangeLog > ChangeLog.patch

 Do you do it from inside the IDE?

ET> Then compare the produced ChangeLog.patch file and ChangeLog -- the
ET> (implicit) text encoding is different.

 I don't know what do you mean by "implicit" encoding but the diff contains
the byte 0xa7 and not "0xc2 0xa7" it would have in UTF-8.

 Regards,
VZ