lmi

Re: [lmi] Calculation Summary columns selection

From: Evgeniy Tarassov
Subject: Re: [lmi] Calculation Summary columns selection
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 03:10:33 +0100

On 11/6/06, Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2006-11-6 16:12 UTC, Evgeniy Tarassov wrote:
> This is what i was going to do to implement the feature. Could you
> please comment on it if you see any problem or maybe a better way to
> accomplish the same thing, as i'm not sure that it is the best one
> could do using the existing lmi code.

I should have explained more clearly that it's okay to take extreme
shortcuts here. All we need is the simplest thing that works today.

Thank you for your quick and exhaustive answer! For some reason i was
stuck trying to figure out how to use the existing code the best way
to implement the feature.

The long-term solution is to provide a configurable-settings editor
using the MVC framework. That shouldn't require much work, but it
does require a deep understanding of that framework--which does far
more than we need here today. For instance, it validates numbers,
changes available selections in the context of other inputs, and
enables or disables input fields; but here, we have twelve identical
comboboxes that are always enabled and always contain the same
selections.

I have took liberty to base the code for the dialog on the framework.
So that i could learn how to do the basic things using the lmi's MVC
framework and not to break the approach taken in lmi concerning GUI.

This doesn't need to be elegant. It'll be replaced by the long-term
solution soon enough.

Thank you for the detailed explanations -- i've have followed your
instructions in the code and it worked the way you have explained.

> Add set_XXX methods to configurable_settings (or derive from
> configurable_settings and make settings editable through the derived
> class).

Isn't it easier to store the selections as a single text node,
with substrings delimited by whitespace?

'configurable_settings.xml':
  <calculation_summary_columns>
    some_column_name
    some_other_column_name
  </calculation_summary_columns>

Yes, sorry. It was ment to be the single set_ function for
configurable_settings::calculation_summary_colums_. Btw the
calculation summary columns list was already there implemented exactly
as you have described it before (and in this message too).

> Add a method to write the changes in configurable_settings back into
> configurable_settings.xml file.

Agreed.

I have added some more not-so-pretty methods to configure_settings so
that when the settings are written back into the xml file, it does not
include the default values specified in the configurable_settings
constructor.

[...]

The code is commited to cvs (20061107T0147Z).

I have done corresponding modifications to objects.make to include new
files, but i failed to compile the application using makefiles. Of
course it builds and works using autotools, but for some reason i
could not have tested it using lmi makefiles.

Also there is an issue with xsl files and ledger_xml_io.cpp, which
could prevent some columns data specified for calculation summary to
be included into the produced html and Spreadsheet output. I will fix
it tomorrow (07/11/2006) morning asap.