lmi

Re: [lmi] installing libxml2 with MSYS's bash

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] installing libxml2 with MSYS's bash
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:36:46 +0100

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:19:00 -0500 "Boutin, Wendy" <address@hidden> wrote:

BW> I am looking into using xmllint from libxml2-2.6.19 and
BW> would like to know if you have any insight with respect
BW> to the problem I have when doing 'make install'.

 To be honest I don't remember if I did "make install" under msys. I'm
almost sure that I did do it under cygwin where it worked without problems.

BW> Wendy Boutin wrote:
BW> > Greg Chicares wrote:
BW> >>A directory whose name begins with a dot
BW> >>is, I believe, a 'hidden' directory under *nix, which is the
BW> >>target the libxml2 guys have in mind. To use it directly seems
BW> >>unholy. I think we should do this:
BW> >>  ./configure && make && make install
BW> >>and then invoke xmllint from wherever 'make install' puts it.

 Exactly. ".libs" is hidden for a reason -- it's a temporary directory
where libtool puts not installed shared libraries and executables using
them. Running them directly from there is not a good idea (== doesn't even
work on many platforms, this is why libtool also has shell script wrappers
for each executable in .libs).

BW> > The problem I had with that was:
BW> >
BW> >   address@hidden /tmp/libxml2-2.6.19
BW> >   $ make install
BW> >      [...]
BW> >   test -z "/usr/local/bin" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/bin"
BW> >     /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /bin/install -c 'xmllint.exe'
'/usr/local/bin
BW> >   /xmllint.exe'
BW> >   /bin/install -c .libs/xmllint.exe /usr/local/bin/xmllint.exe
BW> >   /bin/install: cannot stat `.libs/xmllint.exe': No such file or directory

 This is really strange. Iassume it is there, isn't it?

BW> I've searched the libxml2 mailing list for help, but I didn't find
BW> any solutions. Greg suggested you know more about this than he does,
BW> which is why I'm asking you. Do you know if this is a platform problem
BW> or if I have to do something different?

 I'll try to do it later (I am not on my usual system where msys is
installed right now) and will write you again about it.

 Regards,
VZ