lmi

[lmi] installing libxml2 with MSYS's bash

From: Boutin, Wendy
Subject: [lmi] installing libxml2 with MSYS's bash
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:19:00 -0500

Vadim,

I am looking into using xmllint from libxml2-2.6.19 and
would like to know if you have any insight with respect
to the problem I have when doing 'make install'. There
are several xmllint binaries that get made, but the one
I want is
  /libxml2-2.6.19/.libs/xmllint.exe

This quoted email discussion describes the reason for what
we want and problem I have with 'make install':

Wendy Boutin wrote:
> Greg Chicares wrote:
>>A directory whose name begins with a dot
>>is, I believe, a 'hidden' directory under *nix, which is the
>>target the libxml2 guys have in mind. To use it directly seems
>>unholy. I think we should do this:
>>  ./configure && make && make install
>>and then invoke xmllint from wherever 'make install' puts it.
>
> The problem I had with that was:
>
>   address@hidden /tmp/libxml2-2.6.19
>   $ make install
>      [...]
>   test -z "/usr/local/bin" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/bin"
>     /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /bin/install -c 'xmllint.exe'
> '/usr/local/bin
>   /xmllint.exe'
>   /bin/install -c .libs/xmllint.exe /usr/local/bin/xmllint.exe
>   /bin/install: cannot stat `.libs/xmllint.exe': No such file or directory
>   make[2]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
>   make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/libxml2-2.6.19'
>   make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
>   make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/libxml2-2.6.19'
>   make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I've searched the libxml2 mailing list for help, but I didn't find
any solutions. Greg suggested you know more about this than he does,
which is why I'm asking you. Do you know if this is a platform problem
or if I have to do something different?

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person
other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.