Re: [Linphone-users] flatpak reinstall

From: Karl Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] flatpak reinstall
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 14:29:21 -0600

On 11/20/19 4:44 PM, John White wrote:
So,

A few minutes ago I uninstalled flatpak linphone and then reinstalled it, using the linphone web site install url. I did not lose the addresses. So far I have made 3 calls without it freezing so perhaps this helped. Sure hope so.

John

I tried a flatpak - what a nightmare - never again...
I found it easier just to build a Debian package - Desktop 4.1.1 - Qt5.11.3

flatpak is a bad idea for many reasons - security is a joke, but worse, when applications use their own libs - they don't get security updates - nor bug fixes found in other code that shares the lib. It is particularly bad for the Linux ecosystem - it is the polishing of shared libs that makes code robust - the particular difference from the Windoze world. There is a place to use snaps/AppImage/flatpak - to test something to see if it is worth building - but flatpak appears to be the worst one and non of them should be used for a working program. Using custom libs is what makes so much of the Windoze programs insecure/buggy. ( I've been running a Debian desktop for 20 years now - most users don't understand why these paks are such a bad idea. )

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail address@hidden
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 979-8397
Lawrence, KS 66049

I can live for two months on a good compliment. -- Mark Twain