Re: [Linphone-users] gnu/linux xv webcam selfview copile without java

From: Gelonida G
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] gnu/linux xv webcam selfview copile without java
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:54:12 +0200

Perhaps this might be a constructive suggestion.

Many people like to compile linphone, quite some of them (probably more than 90%)
have absolutely no interest in recompiling the SIP grammar.

Wouldn't it be possible to change the source repositroy and the make files such, that:
- the files generated by antlr are part of the repository.
- the dependencies were setup such, that the antlr-generated files would be recompiled ONLY
 if the source files of the grammar changed.

This would allow the majority of the users to recompile linphone without having to install java and antlr.
and allow the ones trying to change the sip grammar to still recompile it if they have installed java/antlr

Whether this is something automatic, whether there is a separate repository for the gnerated grammar files, whether
this is a command line switch during the ./configure phase or whether done differently wouldn't matter, but the idea of being able to compile
linphone even if antlr / java is not installed sounds to be a good idea.

When I first tried to compile linphone (under windows) I needed quite some time till my first successful build.
(Also tricky to keep all dependencies always up to date)

I still didn't succeed to build linphone on Linux. There was always one package that wasn't the right version.