Re: [Linphone-users] MOS reporting

From: Roman Imankulov
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] MOS reporting
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:37:18 +0500

Hi,

Does Linphone have a feature of calculating MOS (Measn Openion Score) of a voice call? If yes, how the score is reported, RTCP, SNMP or ...?

As I know there is no satisfactory way  to calculate MOS on the fly.

* Originally proposed method (see ITU-T Rec. P.800) requires absolutely unsuitable conditions (such as specially-equipped studios, etc)

* There is also PESQ (ITU-T Rec. P.862) which requires both reference and degraded speech samples (as I suppose, this is also unsuitable for the real-time quality estimation).

* Last chance is an E-model (ITU-T Rec. G.107) which originally was proposed as quality estimation model for the circuit switching networks. Some of parameters of this model (such as one-way delay) cannot be calculated without additional measurements.

I'd like to hear if somebody knows another ways to calculate speech quality or knows how to implement in real-time VoIP application some of methods proposed below.

Also I'm not sure but it seems that PESQ and E-model are patented.

--
WBR, Roman Imankulov