Re: [Linphone-users]Enabling ALSA drivers?

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users]Enabling ALSA drivers?
Date: 12 Jun 2003 21:36:54 +0200

Hello,

I've read your previous email about the "fucking remote sipphone".
Unfortunately I'm not able to explain you exactly what's going wrong.
What I know is that I remember to have fixed such a bug some time ago in
my development version (upcoming 0.12.0).
So I recommend that you try it. You can download it at
http://simon.morlat.free.fr/download/unstable
Concerning your question about alsa support: it was not finished and so
disabled in linphone-0.11.0. Fortunately it is now fully functionnal in
linphone-0.12.0, so you will be able to play with it too.
In order to use it in console mode, you have to set the good
dev_id=[card_number] in your .linphonec. Linphone scans first for oss
devices (/dev/dspX) then alsa devices through asoundlib.
If you have only one card, the dev_id for the alsa card is then 1,(0 for
oss). If you use the gnome interface, then it appears clearly in a combo
box.
Concerning your 4 minutes delay; I never heard this before. I think it
is related to the RTP stream. In order to do that, the sender has to
send its first RTP packet with timestamp t, then all the other ones with
(t+(8000*60*4)+n*160) where n is the packet index.
The receiver then will have to wait 4 minutes between the first packet
and the following ones.
Please verify that this problem was not momentary. As oRTP already runs
within deployed systems, I would think that the problem was more in the
Cisco Phone.
I'm using Debian Sid with the intel8x0 alsa driver, and I get very good
latency. The intel8x0 is a good driver.
I'm interested in any feedback about linphone-0.12.0pre1.

Simon