Re: [Linphone-developers] isn't trying V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV before V4L2_PIX

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] isn't trying V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV before V4L2_PIX_FMT_MJPEG better?
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:13:42 +0100

Le Tuesday 09 December 2008 10:14:46 Alan Chen, vous avez écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> In  mediastreamer2 msv4l2.c, I wonder if calling
> v4lv2_try_format(s,V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV) before
> v4lv2_try_format(s,V4L2_PIX_FMT_MJPEG) is better.  isn't decoding
> MJPEG consuming more CPU and not as desirable?
You are probably right.
V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV pictures are bigger and then need to be converted to YUV420P
for processing by the encoder.
However I never noticed MJPEG was consuming CPU significatively (it does not
increase the fan speed of my laptop, while resizing to full screen does).
Did you make measures for the two options ?