Re: Problems with lilypond-invoke-editor

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Problems with lilypond-invoke-editor
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 23:17:42 -0500

On Wed 10 Apr 2024 at 21:35:16 (-0600), Ben Bradshaw wrote:
> Well I fixed having multiple lilyponds installed, and at first I thought it
> worked. Zathura and xpdf at least work when I open them separately.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by open separately. Is this: typing
<viewer> in a command line, or clicking on a viewer's icon, or (by file
association) clicking on a PDF document?

> I guess
> it's a minor annoyance, but if I open zathura from the C-c C-c part of
> emacs, then it doesn't work and I get those errors.

Same again—how do you start emacs?

> I have no clue why that
> would make a difference, but it seems to be the case. Open the file in a
> viewer separately and point and click works just fine. Use the lilypond
> command view and it doesn't.

I've only tested with xpdf and emacs, each one opened from the command
line (because I don't use a desktop). Point-and-click works whether
xpdf was started from the command line or from  ^C^C ViewPDF in emacs.

> I guess I haven't tried to see if other pdf
> viewers work from the command menu, but it seems like it wouldn't be a
> zathura problem.

I would try with xpdf, because it has a simpler configuration/mechanism
than viewers like zathura and evince. If xpdf works correctly, I would
suspect that there might by more Gnome-y stuff required to get zathura
to work when launched by emacs with ^C^C, rather than by Gnome. But
that's only a guess.

Would you be able to adjust your workflow to begin by running zathura
on the PDF, and just clicking on an item in the score to launch emacs?
(Perhaps that's what you're already doing.)

Cheers,
David.