Re: Installing 2.24.1

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Installing 2.24.1
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:46:39 -0500

On Thu 11 Apr 2024 at 21:14:14 (+0100), Wol wrote:

> > > Thanks. So basically "yes", I guessed as much.
> > >
> > > I just need to re-associate the new version of lilypond with .ly
> > > files...
> >
> > If you have a chance please check these instructions for correctness;
> > I'm not a regular Windows user, and there might be errors and/or
> > problems due to my clumsy testing.
> >
> Well, it doesn't appear to work ...
>
> Bear in mind I'm running Windows, so I don't want to run lilypond from
> the command line. I double-click a .ly file, it runs lilypond, and my
> pdf appears (or at least it does, running the old version).
>
> What I did was open a command shell as administrator, and extracted
> lilypond into Program Files. I then opened a .ly file and - nothing
> happened!
>
> Or rather, nothing useful happened. A popup window opened, and
> disappeared. No log files, no output, no nothing.
>
> Okay. Tried to run it the un-windows way of using the command line.
> Complete pain in the ass, I'm afraid. And at least I can see the error
> messages ...
>
> D:\Users\Anthony\My Git\music\GBB-Concert\_Grandioso>"c:\Program
> Files\lilypond-2.24.3\bin\lilypond.exe" partTromboneB.ly
> GNU LilyPond 2.24.3 (running Guile 2.2)
> Processing `partTromboneB.ly'
> Parsing...
> partTromboneB.ly:6:10: error: cannot find file: `voiceTromboneB.ily'
> (search path: `c:/Program
> Files/lilypond-2.24.3/share/lilypond/2.24.3/ly;c:/Program
> Files/lilypond-2.24.3/share/lilypond/2.24.3/ps;c:/Program
> Files/lilypond-2.24.3/share/lilypond/2.24.3/scm;c:/Program
> Files/lilypond-2.24.3/share/lilypond/2.24.3/fonts/otf/;c:/Program
> Files/lilypond-2.24.3/share/lilypond/2.24.3/fonts/svg/;')
> \include
>          "voiceTromboneB.ily"
> partTromboneB.ly:23:41: error: unknown escaped string: `\voiceTromboneB'
>
>                                         \voiceTromboneB
> partTromboneB.ly:23:41: error: string outside of text script or \lyricmode
>
>                                         \voiceTromboneB

What's odd about this log is that the errors occur on lines 6 and 23,
and yet there's no error concerning voiceStaff.ily, nor the variables
voiceTimeSig and voiceMarkup, defined therein. That suggests (but does
not prove) that voiceStaff.ily was found.

Of course, these line numbers may be coincidental.

> Note: compilation failed and \version outdated, did you
> update input syntax with convert-ly?
>

> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/usage/updating-files-with-convert_002dly
>
> Interpreting music...[8]
> Preprocessing graphical objects...
> Finding the ideal number of pages...
> Fitting music on 1 page...
> Drawing systems...
> Converting to `partTromboneB.pdf'...
> fatal error: failed files: "partTromboneB.ly"
>
> D:\Users\Anthony\My Git\music\GBB-Concert\_Grandioso>
>

> So it looks like it's searching the program directory for my include
> files, and not the current directory where they actually are! Note
> that running the older lilypond correctly compiles the file.

Cheers,
David.