Re: Using functions "parenthesize" in lilypond 2.24.1

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Using functions "parenthesize" in lilypond 2.24.1
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:05:33 +0200

Le mardi 11 juillet 2023 à 12:19 +0300, Виноградов Юрий a écrit :

Hello. I'm typing an accordion part. And in my left hand I need to put a note in the \parenthesize function. But since this note takes up space in the measure. Example: beat 2/4 and note 1/8 - it turns out to be 5/8 in a beat. To make everything look good in the other hand, I either put the size of 5/8 in this tact and add an invisible pause (s8). Or I type in these bars with the \cadenzaOn function. Can you tell me how to leave the measure in the normal 2/4 size and have this note with the \parenthesize function not be counted in the measure.

I don't know accordion notation, but: isn't this a grace note? If so, you should just use the \grace command like so:

\version "2.24.1"

<<
  \new Staff {
    \time 2/4
    \grace s8
    d'2
  }
  \new Staff {
    \time 2/4
    \grace \parenthesize c'8
    d'2
  }

Note that you might get trouble if you do not have parallel graces (a problem famous as “issue #34”), so you should use a grace skip in the upper staff.

Best,

Jean