Re: Discourse proposal status

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Discourse proposal status
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 17:04:51 +0100

Hello Andrew,

I suppose a system that requires by a large factor more resources for
installation that it requires to run is not really a good way to do it.
Renting an 8GB Server when you only need that 8GB for setup sounds a bit daft.
I do not know if renting a server dedicated to managing a handful of messages
per day is really a good use of resources. In my opinion the best way would be
to have Lilypond use a small share of the resources of a company or communiy
stable enough to grant that the system will be around some time. This is
exactly what is currently done by GNU infastructure.

Renting a dedicated server would really only make sense if we had a handful of
web services that really make use of these resources. Such a server might also
be used for example to host something like Paolo’s Spontini editor. I mean,
sure, it wouldn’t cost much individually if a few of us rented a Server
together, but I think if we do something like this we should make full use of
that server.

Cheers,
Valentin