Re: Lilypond's English Horn MIDI instrument is non-transposing?

From: Jacques Menu
Subject: Re: Lilypond's English Horn MIDI instrument is non-transposing?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:41:45 +0100

Hello Wol,

Le 15 janv. 2022 à 11:38, Wols Lists <antlists@youngman.org.uk> a écrit :

On 13/01/2022 21:40, James B. Wilkinson wrote:
If I make it with the English horn part correctly transposed, the MIDI sounds terrible. If I make it with the English horn part untransposed, it sounds fine. My conclusion is that the midiInstrument "english horn" reads its part in C rather than in F. Shouldn't it play the notes that a real English horn would?

Out of curiosity, and speaking as a Brit! what on earth is an "English Horn"? Is the instrument the English call a Cor Anglais?

Yes, it is an oboe alto in F, the modern evolution of Tribert’s instruments:

JM

Cheers,
Wol