Re: Lilypond's English Horn MIDI instrument is non-transposing?

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Lilypond's English Horn MIDI instrument is non-transposing?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:23:12 +0100

Hi James,
Lilypond uses these GM names, which makes Lilypond a somewhat GM compatible
source. This means that as long as we use a GM compatible synth everything
should have the right sound.

I was using VLC to play it. Does this mean that VLC is not GM compatible?

"Sounding like" (= using samples similar to) an English Horrn and "transposing like an English Horn" are independent issues matters here.

Valentin's explanations regarding GM concerned the sound of instruments.

As MIDI files usually (or probably even always, I'm not sure about the standard) contain notes in sounding (concert) pitch, it's up to the MIDI file generator (LilyPond) to create all notes in the correct sounding pitch. In LilyPond, this can be achieved by either \transpose'ing the music to concert pitch (but this also affects the printed layout) or using \transposition, which is specifically made for affecting the MIDI output only. (I'm ignoring the issue of quoted music here.)

Lukas