Re: dynamics: sf vs sfz

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: dynamics: sf vs sfz
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 09:11:09 -0500

Hi all,

As composer, pianist, and conductor, I can offer that the consensus among most
of the musicians I know is that sfz is [in modern practice] considered
different from sf, especially with respect to the envelope of the note: in
"equation" terms, one might write sfz = sf + >. An analogous difference
distinguishes fz as different from both sf and sfz.

In performance of more "historical" music (say, Beethoven and before), these
distinctions are not as widely or faithfully observed.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info