Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 10:16:53 +0100

Hello Jean,

What I’ve done here is:

1) Make any macro that has a structural character bold. This helps in quickly
understanding the basic structure of the document. \tuplet is just a simple
music function with no real structural importance, so it is not bold. Of
course it is arguable if something like \relative or \bar should be considered
as structurally important.

2) Get rid of bright, light highlighting of numbers. Here we might say that
duration indications are structurally important, so we might handle these
differently. And of course we can use color for numbers, but it should not
contrast to much with the surrounding colours (which is mainly black and dark
blue). See the appended images for an example with a hint of turquoise.

3) Break up the color of property paths to make them structurally more
readable. Of course we can color the properties, but we might want to use a
color that is slightly (but not too much) different from the color for the
Grob. Again, check out the appended images for an example.

I have now also thought that there is no real reason to introduce a whole new
color for something like \Voice.

Cheers,
Valentin