Re: Multiple versions of Lilypond?

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Multiple versions of Lilypond?
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 13:06:23 -0500

On Sat 23 Oct 2021 at 16:33:59 (-0700), Aaron Hill wrote:
> On 2021-10-23 3:58 pm, Kira Garvie wrote:
> > What I was told is that there are some features on the back-end of the
> > program that turns the Lilypond scores into manipulatable scores
> > for the
> > company that doesn't play well with some of the newer updates to
> > Lilypond.
> > So I can have more than one Lilypond program downloaded, my
> > computer won't
> > care?
>
> The only issues would be if the installer modifies global or shared
> aspects of the OS environment.
>
> On Windows, for instance, only one version of LilyPond can be
> associated with .ly files at a time.  The most recently installed
> version would trump priors, unless you specifically disable file
> association during installation.  If you never double-click .ly files
> to compile them, then none of this matters.  If you do, then you would
> need to be careful when installing other versions to preserve the
> existing association.  And should the association get altered, you
> would need to manually re-associate with the desired version.

Perhaps this is one example where drag-and-drop comes into its own,
rather than double-clicking documents. You just drag the LP document
onto the appropriate icon representing a specific version of LP.
Do you know how that is configured, again not disturbing any
preexisting association for one particular version.

Cheers,
David.