fitting fret diagrams on a staff

From: Gary Brookman
Subject: fitting fret diagrams on a staff
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:42:57 +0000

I'm trying to create a rhythm chart for guitarists that have specific voicings shown in fret diagrams. It's mostly correct, except I have two measures on the first line and three on the remaining. What I want is four measures per line.

I'll fess up to being a beginner with Lilypond and not a musician, so I may be approaching this the wrong way.

I tried using \noBreak; that sort of worked, but it flowed off the right side of the page.
overriding the fretboard size; didn't affect the horizontal spacing
using the fret diagram markup string; minor changes to positioning, but not what I wanted
looked at annotate spacing; too green to make sense of what it's telling me.

I'm running out of ammo for my shotgun approach. Could someone with a clue give me a nudge in the right direction?

I attached a ly file I've been using for testing.