Re: Relative mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Relative mode
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 14:29:13 +0200

Leo Correia de Verdier <leo.correia.de.verdier@gmail.com> writes:

> The ”command global=” is defining a variable with a series of property
> settings (mostly), \relative is not a property, it’s a function that
> is preformed on the music inside the brackets following it.
>
> The manual is quite long, but you will eventually need to go through
> much of it to get what is what in lilyponds syntax and understand what
> the lines in the code actually mean.

If everything is a score, you can just call relative on it.  Something
like

toplevel-music-functions=#(cons relative toplevel-music-functions)

{ c g e c }
{ g' f g' c }

Mind you, I am not saying that this is a good idea (in fact, I consider
it marvelously bad, not least of all because all helpful editing and
conversion tools as well as human readers will likely have no clue what
you are doing here and will refuse helping you with it).

But it's not like LilyPond has built-in barriers against bad ideas, and
it will give you all the help you need shooting yourself in the foot.

The manuals and the community will lean towards moving you more in the
direction of sustainable best practice.

It's a bit similar with music education: when self-learned musicians
accumulate technical skills of their own design from which they create
their working procedures at an ultimately comparatively high level, they
will have a hard time getting help overcoming any roadblocks because
they'll find no teachers interested in investing the kind of work
upfront required to sort the good from the bad in the idiosyncratic
technique, and then design strategies for ditching or even ameliorating
the bad without sacrificing the good.

--
David Kastrup