Re: TextSpanner to end of bar / end of piece

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: TextSpanner to end of bar / end of piece
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 16:08:07 +0200

Am Mo., 24. Mai 2021 um 15:16 Uhr schrieb Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de>:

Folks,

two questions about the behaviour of textSpanners:

First question:

If a TextSpanner ends at the beginning at a bar which happens to be a line break, then

- with TextSpanner.to-barline = ##f, I get the left-broken.text and the right.text immediately after one another at the beginning of the second system,

- with TextSpanner.to-barline = ##t, I get no artifacts in the next line, but right.text is missing in the first system.

What I want: The text spanner should end at the last barline of the first system, but right.text should be printed.

Second question: Is it possible to let a TextSpanner end precisely at the end of a piece (last barline) with right.text being printed?

I can approximate the desired behaviour in both cases by letting the TextSpanner end a very short amount of time before the actual end of the bar, but that feels conceptually wrong and also does not yield the correct position of "R".

Lukas

Hi Lukas,

below works for me:

{
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text = "R"
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "L"
  \override TextSpanner.to-barline = ##t

  <>\startTextSpan
  s1
  \break
  <>\stopTextSpan
  s1
  <>\startTextSpan
  s1
  <>\stopTextSpan
}

Though, if the TextSpanner does not end at line-end you'll need different settings.
Probably doable by some scheme-coding ...

Cheers,
  Harm