Re: Error : Lilypond version 2.19.55 Error invoked

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Error : Lilypond version 2.19.55 Error invoked
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:17:45 +0000

From: lilypond-user <lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org> on behalf of Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>
Date: Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 7:09 AM
To: Miguel Abrams <MIGUELABRAMS46@gmail.com>, "lilypond-user@gnu.org" <lilypond-user@gnu.org>

Le 11/02/2021 à 14:11, Miguel Abrams a écrit :

Dear community:

I am reaching out for assistance in regard to the following error.

Although I regard my knowledge of Lilypond to be primary, I have been a more than excited user for over two years now, and have never come across an error which I could not 'somehow' work around, at least until now.

The following error was reported and archived in 2009, by another user (JUNE 3 2019, (2.19.82).

However, I have been unable to find its resolution in the Archive. The error has now happened to my code, and I require some assistance to get by it.

_________________________________

I am using MAC OS 10.13.6 HIgh Sierra, and Lilypond 2.19.55

_________________________________

The compile and subsequent engraver output fails, unless I replace a 'note' with a rest.

ERROR :

v/Parsing...Interpreting music...[8][16][24][32][40][48][56]ERROR: In procedure ly:trampoline:ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 3 (expecting Translator): #<freed cell 0x5e6cb90; GC missed a reference>Exited with return code 1

____________

I provide a clip of the code below where the error is invoked, as shown in between

the 2 % % marks. The error seems to point to the 2nd last note the 'flagged' measure.

Please note that if I replace that beat with an r8, the compile and engraver run successfully.

If I leave a note in that position, the error is invoked.

It appears to me, as noted in this email, that the same error had been reported in June 2019.

____________

Also, I am using in this piece the Add Lyrics functionality.

____________

%%%

new Staff{ \with { instrumentName = #"Bass" }

{

\clef bass

\set Sta@.midiInstrument = #"acoustic bass"

\stemDown \numericTimeSignature\time 4/4 \key g\minor

\autoBeamOn

%BASS VERSE_A

g,4 d,8 g,4 d,8 c4 |

 g,8 d,4 r8 d,8 g,8 g,8 d,8 |

 g,8 d,4 c4 d,4 r8 |

d,4 g,4 d,8 g,4 d,8 |

%

c4 g,8 d,4 r8 d,8 g,8 |

%

g,8 d,4 g,8 d,8 c8 g,4 |

 r8 d,8 g,4 d,8 g,4 d,8|

 c,4 g,8 d,4 r8 c,8 g,8 |

 d,8 g,8 g,4 d,4 d,4 |

 g,,4. r8 d,8 g,4 c,8 |

 g,4 c,8 c4 g,8 d,4 |

d,8 d,4 g,8 d,4 g,4 |

d,4 g,4 g,,4. r8 r8 |

An assistance will be most appreciated.

Hello,

This is a garbage collection error. The bug is rooted in
LilyPond's hard core written in C++, so there is not much
that you can do as a user to fix it. Sorry.

I agree that it is a garbage collection error.  In many cases this behavior is triggered as we start to run out of memory.  I agree with Jean that you should try  a newer version.  If the problem exists in the newer version, you should try getting a 64-bit version of LilyPond.  The main distribution is 32-bit (due to restrictions by Apple on the use of their API).  You can build your own 64-bit version using MacPorts, or you can download a 64-bit version from this site: https://bintray.com/marnen/lilypond-darwin-64

The most recent version  on bintray is 2.20.0, but that is still a released version.

Carl