Re: Custom music notation?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Custom music notation?
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 15:36:41 +0000

This could be done relatively easily with lilypond.

The different note heads for different steps in the chromatic scale is already used, but will need some modification for you.

Changing the staff position from a note-based position to an ocatave-based position is slightly more work, but doable.

The beams that are flat within a renova and changing slope between two renovas is something lilypond doesn’t know about.

Personally, I am not interested in doing development on this.  I do not wish to rain on your parade, but in my opinion, PMN does a poor job of representing pitch.  The only pitch changes that are graphical are the renova changes.  The other pitch changes are just shown by shape changes, and thus are very hard for me to follow.

A second disadvantage of this notation, as I understand it, is that is eliminates any sense of the melodic scale degree, which is important to my understanding of western music.

Sincerely,

Carl Sorensen