Re: Point & Click with Atom

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Point & Click with Atom
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 23:27:07 +0100

Il giorno sab 31 ott 2020 alle 18:48, Martín Rincón Botero <martinrinconbotero@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Did you try to do what the docs say?

Because the very beginning of the documentation is not clear as to what to do with the export line, I didn’t follow the steps for Gnome3. I’ll try adding that line to .bashrc and follow the Gnome3 steps parallelly. If I succeed, I’ll try writing a small guide for Ubuntu. The documentation is so poor, I’m surprised anyone can make Point & Click work on any OS just by reading that. Perhaps I’m just dumb.

Hi Martin

I improved that doc page two years ago, but reading it again now I see that it would need a general rewrite.

First of all, how did you install Atom? It's a regular distro package (like .deb or .rpm)? Or maybe a flatpak or similar? Did you check if the atom binary can be found? Type this in a terminal:

 which -a atom

Are you running lilypond version 2.20? If so, it's Ok.

The environment variables are usually defined in ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile.
Check which files you have already with:

  ls -a ~

I'm on Fedora 33 and I see .bashrc and .bash_profile.
I'll use .bash_profile and add this line:

export LYEDITOR=gedit

(I don't have Atom installed)

Then reload the file and check that the environment variable is detected:

$ source ~/.bash_profile
$ echo $LYEDITOR
gedit
$ env | grep LYEDITOR
LYEDITOR=gedit

Add the lilypond-invoke-editor.desktop file as described in the docs.
Now point-and-click should be working. If it doesn't, close the desktop session and start a new one, then try again.