Re: Feature request: Alternative G clef

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Feature request: Alternative G clef
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 12:14:00 +0200

Hi Martín,

On 24.10.20 11:47, Martín Rincón Botero wrote:
I wish Perol-Schneider's clef could be considered for inclusion into standard Lilypond, possibly named as "G2" (which would actually produce a "second" G clef) or as \clef varG.

two things here: there has been a lot of work to making LilyPond work with other music fonts. This seems like it doesn’t have to do with any syntactic differentiation but merely with design choices (well, \clef "GG" and "tenorG" at least hold some residue of suggesting another stylistic context/hinting at the transposing nature). Hence I wouldn’t think it should be added concurrently to the LilyPond core.

The naming of \clef "G2" doesn’t mean ‘second G clef’ or ‘alternative’, but it means ‘a G clef sitting on the 2nd staff line’ (staff lines traditionally being counted from the bottom up). In ancient music, it’s customary e.g. to describe the clefs used in a piece as “G2, C2, C3, F3”, meaning treble, mezzosoprano, alto, and baritone clefs.

Best, Simon