Re: [OLL} Discourse forum

From: Gilles Sadowski
Subject: Re: [OLL} Discourse forum
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 16:32:15 +0200

Hi.

> To provide a focus and a sub-community for LilyPond users and those
> interested in openLilyLib, I have established a Discourse forum here:
>
> https://discourse.openlilylib.space
>
> All are welcome to join. It's a forum and a parallel mailing list for
> support, help, development talk, and all matters about openLilyLib.
>
> This runs on my personally managed Linux VPS systems, and Discourse is
> fully open source, in accordance with my policy of using open source
> wherever possible.
>
> When setting up new services such as this that utilise email for
> functions, one inevitably hits the demons of the spam blacklisting
> houses, which can aggressively block email. I have a lot of experience
> with this and I try my best to avoid this, by using the Amazon Simple
> Email Service, which provides the requisite degree of credibility to
> the spam houses. I mention this because initial emails can still end
> up in your spam folder, as some mailers alsoe need to be trained. If
> expected mail does not appear, check Junk. Contact me if there are
> persistent issues.
>
> I am critically aware that this is independent of this mailing list
> and somewhat splittist, but I feel OLL is important enough to have its
> own ecosystem,

Maybe it's so important that it should keep this list's subscribers
aware of its usefulness and progress?

> and I am not sure that people on the LilyPond user list
> necessarily want to read ling threads on details of Scheme parsers and
> package code development and git topics.

Sure.  However, average users might want to be informed when
some significant improvement has been made such that there is
now a new recommended/easy way for accomplishing certain
tasks.

Regards,
Gilles

P.S. I do not follow the "dev" list; maybe the reason why I've never
really understood why OLL is not meant to be part of LilyPond itself.