architecture document?

From: Tom Sgouros
Subject: architecture document?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 21:11:05 -0400

Hello all:

I've recently started using Lilypond and so far it's great. I don't think I'm saying anything surprising by observing what seems to be a close family resemblance to TeX. Did it start out as TeX macros and diverge?

I wonder if there is a document out there that might talk about the design choices made in putting Lilypond together that might compare and contrast it with TeX? Lessons learned?

Thank you,

 -Tom